When it comes to social media, if your audience isn’t engaged you probably aren’t getting much out of it. The whole point of social media is to be social. So engaging your audience is what it’s all about!
In case you aren’t as familiar with how Facebook and Instagram (and most of the social media platforms) work, they all use an algorithm. This is because they want you to keep coming back to the platform. So they decide what they think you want to see (based on your habits) and show you that. This can be a disadvantage for business and brands, so it’s important to create content that your audience will see as valuable, even more so shareable. I spend the most time engaging on Instagram and Facebook, so that’s what I’ll be talking about today.
Engaging your audience on Facebook
- Ask them questions: I love to ask trivia questions. It’s a great way to start a conversation. You can even up the ante by giving away a prize to the first person to get it right. Questions can also be used to find out more about your audience likes and dislikes. Always take their answers into consideration, the feedback can be so valuable to your success!
- Take pictures!: Being able to tag your followers in pictures is great! This will show up in their newsfeed which = free exposure for your business page. Also, share great user generated content! If someone is posting pictures of themselves at your business, re-share. Which brings me to my next way to engage…
- Respond!: When your followers are checking in, tagging you, or commenting on anything, you need to respond! Thank them! Compliment their great new look! Comment on whatever it is that they’re saying to you, for as long as you can. This will encourage future interaction.
Engaging your audience on Instagram
Instagram is a bit of a different beast then Facebook, and should be treated differently. But never fear, there are great ways to engage your audience here too!
- Spend time COMMENTING on accounts that follow you OR that could be your potential customer: That’s right, allocate time commenting on accounts. Not just liking their picture. Think about what leaves a bigger impression in your mind, a like or a comment? You know the answer.
- Use your stories: Instagram is all about the stories. Talk to your audience. Let them into your life. Ask them questions. Take polls. Then engage with other people’s stories.
- Use hashtags: If you’re not using hashtags, there’s a very slim chance your account will be organically found unless you already have a ton of followers. Research the hashtags other people in your field are using and use geotargeted hashtags as well.
Remember, it’s meant to be social. You’re building a community. Don’t just talk at your audience. Find ways to excite them, inspire them and encourage them. And when you hit that gold mine of a post, don’t disregard it! Keep engaging, take notes on what you did there and try to replicate it.
Happy posting friends! If you’re still stuck, I’d love to help you strategize. Contact me today and let’s get to work!