I grew up in a good ol’ country town (not so country anymore…) but I was there from 1st grade until I graduated high school. I have had some of the same friends from the time I was 6 until NOW! That’s right, my friend Alyse has shared a birthday month with me for almost 26 years! My other closest girl friends and I have been together since elementary and middle school (I’ve showed ya’ll my tribe before) but the bottom line is, if I want to grow my circle, I gotta get out more.
Now before I start how, let’s talk about why. I have an amazing group of friends. Why do I need more? Well, I’ve been told many times, when it comes to business it’s not what you know it’s who you know. And to know more people, you gotta know more people. So in my quest to grow my business, is my quest to grow my circle. And why do I believe this statement? Think about it, if you are going to buy something, wouldn’t you rather buy from someone you know? Someone you can trust? Someone you know has your best interest at heart? PLUS, I have this deep down feeling that everyone and everything is put in my life for a reason. There is always SOMETHING that will come out of every experience I have. So meeting and nurturing relationships with people, is gratifying and will provide me with something every time if I allow it.
Ok, time to talk about how. How can you grow your circle? You’ve got to get out there! Here are some places to go:
- Join a group or meet-up. Have you ever been on Meet-up? It is the coolest app! There are groups of people with EVERY interest/hobby you can imagine! Mom’s groups, work out groups, book clubs, cooking clubs, friends to drink with, paint with, chat with, literally anything! You just have to get out of your comfort zone and go! Bring a friend if you want (but you’ll be forced to meet new people if you don’t).
- Join a gym! Preferably one with classes so you start to see the same people over and over again. This is a two-fer. Joining a gym with classes will help with accountability, plus if you go, you might even start working out! Working out = getting stronger = getting healthier= #livingyourbestlife. There are so many pros to joining a gym, you might just do it even if you don’t want to grow your circle.
- Go to networking events! Every networking event I’ve gone to I’ve met a badass chick who might possibly need my services, or I just really like and we’re social media/texting friends now. If you go to networking events, talk about your business, ask questions about other people’s businesses, you will find value. Bring your business cards, take photos to post on your business page and tag others in, and MEET SOME GREAT PEOPLE!
- Start a new job. Where do you spend most of your time? At work! A new job is the perfect place to meet some new people. Maybe not the easiest thing to do, but if you want to get out of your comfort zone, a new job will do it for you!
- Take some classes. Start classes at a local college. Or see what your community center is offering. Like I said before, being in close quarters with others gives you the chance to talk someone up. Find out their story, you really never know.
Now here’s the disclaimer, attending these things is not going to just immediately open up your friend circle. While you’re there, you have to talk to people. And ask them about themselves. Then continue to ask them about themselves (people like to talk about themselves). Exchange contact information with them. When the class or event is over, take a picture with them and tag them. Then, continue to connect with them. And not just because I’m telling you to, but because you’re building a REAL LIFE RELATIONSHIP.
I manage social media accounts, but the purpose of them is to BE SOCIAL (not sell things). Nurture relationships, care, make people feel special. If you do these things, you will grow your circle with people who care about you and care if you succeed, and the next time they need a (whatever it is you provide) they will know just the person!